SEO and SEM, but also SMM. These are the acronyms of the Web that today all the professionals have learned to chew well. And they must, necessarily, also be known by the clients, to better define with their professionals their presence on the Web.
SEO, meaning: we start from the basics to make themselves visible on the Web
SEO is an English acronym that stands for Search Engine Optimization or search engine optimization. In general, on the Web, the rule of the real market applies: if you are there but you are not visible, customers will never arrive. The SEO or the SEO is just to bring out your web presence (and your course of your business) and make it visible to your target, or your potential customers. With SEO techniques we work on positioning, not on the indexing of the page/website in question. Attention, indexing, and positioning indicate two different concepts:
To rank, you have to learn SEO techniques.
- Indexing: the presence of the page/site in question in the archives of the search engine
- Positioning: the position of the page/site in the SERP of Google, or position that the search engine attributes to the page or site, in response to a user search, on the results page. The first 10 positions (first page of Google) and, among these, the first 5, are essential to ensure the site/web page the right visibility, as hardly a user who browses for information will go beyond the first or second page of results
The SEO activities include a series of techniques aimed at optimizing (ie maintaining and possibly improving) the site/page position in the SERP. They stand out in SEO on page activities (carried out on the site) and off-page SEO (carried out off-site, but not off-line!).
The optimization of the site / page of:
- Link and backlink
- Map to make information accessible to search engine spiders and crawlers
- Source code
- Loading speed
SEM, tools: or how to do Search Engine Marketing
Another widely used acronym that you have probably already heard of is the SEM or Search Engine Marketing. The SEM contains in this acronym all the techniques that allow a site (or project or company) to gain visibility in the eyes of the target, through search engines. Search Engine is, in fact, the English translation of the search engine. Before going into the SEM tools, let’s introduce a third acronym, the SEA. SEA stands for Search Engine Advertising, i.e. advertising on and through search engines. Do not be afraid of all these acronyms. We also briefly defined the SEA to say that
SEO and SEA are part of the broader SEM strategy
That is that search engine optimization ( aka organic positioning) combined with search engine advertising (paid placement) are two of the elements through which Search Engine Marketing takes place: being found by the right people at the time when these people really need you. Needless to say, many disciplines are part of the SEM, such as Social Media Marketing or Persuasive Copywriting.
Furthermore, they are part of the SEM activities:
- Planning and management of Pay per Click campaigns
- The increase of link popularity through Link Building strategies
- Analysis of the returns of the actions undertaken, through Web Analysis tools
These three activities in particular make it possible to obtain an off-site positioning, i.e. with actions outside the site in question but which have direct consequences on it, in terms of optimization. The objective of the SEM remains, however, to find a specific site on search engines.
The professional figure that deals with SEO and SEM is called SEO and SEM specialist. But be careful not to confuse the SEO and especially the SEM with the SMM that is nothing but Social Media Marketing. Let’s see it in more detail.
Social media marketing (SMM): an activity that is essential today for your on and off-line business
Social Media Marketing is the marketing business and social media. Before we talked about marketing on search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing! etc.), now we dedicate ourselves to marketing on any social platform. Surely you will know Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. But in addition to these more popular social networks, there are also social networks that are still “minor” in Italy in terms that are certainly not valid but rather diffused. If you do not know them yet, read the smaller social networks, a guide to Pinterest & Co.
The Social Media Specialist then takes care of promoting, promoting and disseminating the presence of a company on social media. By taking care of the communication, the SMM for a company is able to:
- Generate viral content
- Increase Brand Awareness
- Create engagement through the publication of targeted content
The ultimate aim is obviously to make known the company or the product in question and increase its sales. Social Media Marketing today is crucial for practically any business. Not only because of the widespread diffusion of social media among the population (which then generates the Always-Connected effect), but also because the Social Media is reaching (and in some cases overtaking) the traditional search engines in the pre-purchase of a product.
Although Facebook is still dominating as a Social Media Marketing platform, other social media are also gaining weight, such as Snapchat, the mobile storytelling social network. Snapchat is used by brands of all sizes to be discovered, thanks precisely to the ability to generate stories. And it is certainly the most widespread social network among teenagers, even if substantial slices of the audience are gaining realities such as CNN (12 million viewers on Snapchat) and Bleacher Report (16 million), effectively opening the way to other brands that deal with of average. The SMM is therefore not just the preserve of Facebook or emerging social media such as Snapchat. It is a valid marketing platform also:
- Instagram, for its ability to create user communities and generate engagement
- Twitter, for professional communication and customer service (new features)
- Pinterest, because it represents and will represent the basis of future research that will be no longer only for keywords but also and especially for images. In fact, already today, companies of any size can use search advertising, advertising based on search engines, taking advantage of over 2 billion monthly searches on Pinterest.
With this short guide to the most common acronyms of the Web in the field of marketing and promotion, you will certainly be able to define with your Specialist the best plan to enhance your business through the internet.